Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #42
Power6
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 72730
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2001 Lexus ES300,
2005 Outback XT

^^Yes it would. The front and rear shifter bushing provide a direct path to transfer gear whine from the trans to the body. Subaru uses nice soft rubber to keep it quiet. The Subaru short shifter has a firmer bushing, and if you use the rear SPT bushing that is firmer too. It does transfer more gear whine to the cabin. Some people can't even tell the difference, and some people don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinitus View Post
This added sound thing scares me. Seems like every great mod comes with trade-offs that could be deal breakers for some.
QFT! This is the fact of life with mods. If there was no trade off, Subaru would just put firm bushings and short shifters in every WRX...well maybe not, the profit margin on the accessories has got to be pretty sweet...

Personally I feel the WRX compromise Subaru chose is to be a softy daily driver so the short shifter and firmer bushings work better for me than stock but there is always a tradeoff.

I notice some people list the "stock height" of the SPT short shifter as downside but I am tall, seat all the way back on the tracks, so it is an upside for me to have the extra reach. I wish I could shorten the shift just a little more without changing the shifter height!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Power6 is offline   Reply With Quote