Old 02-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

Do you own a 2012 Impreza and are you experiencing poor fuel economy, or were you just looking for some sort of hobby to keep you busy?

I've personally seen low/mid 30s in an '11 Outback, which is bigger, heavier, and has higher parasitic losses through the drivetrain. I have no doubts that a smaller, lighter, more efficient car will be able to top that.

Do you know what the EPA drive cycle is like? Do you know how many people don't drive like that?

My daily commute is about 10 miles of 45 mph stretches with about 20 stoplights spread between. It's horrible for fuel economy, accelerating to 45-50 and then hitting the brakes to stop. In my Impreza I average about 18-20 mpg when the EPA estimate is 22/29.

The Outback I used to take to class was rated at 19/27 mpg. I've had customers who claim they've seen 40mpg trips (I'm a little skeptical, but it's not totally impossible).

Should people complain that Subaru made false claims about the fuel economy of the Outback, because most owners are seeing 30+ mpg on the highway and the advertised EPA estimate was only 27?

I've also got a customer whose only complaint about his 2011 Outback is poor fuel economy. When I pushed him a little, he admitted that most of his highway driving is 80-85 mph and he's only getting about 22-24 mpg.

Should he really complain, when he's cruising at 85 mph?

And don't forget, the 27/36 mpg estimates are based upon the CVT, not the manual trans.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote