View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
MINIz guy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 305218
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrysImpreza View Post
My current 2004 Impreza TS is rated at 23/27, I get about 24.5 currently, driving about 75 on the highway, with a roof rack and a ton of extra stuff in the trunk, and 2 baby seats. I have seen 34.5 on a trip to DC from CT.

I am afraid of putting down my hard earned cash on a car that is giving very optimistic numbers and NOT delivering and people accepting it, because we are a loyal breed. This is my 5th Subaru and something like the 42nd Subaru in my family.

When a car gives a 27/36 range, I expect it to fall in between. The frequency of seeing 21.6, 22.8 and 23.4 on Fuelly and on the forums does not sit well with me.
On a straight 75 MPH cruise with 3 people and luggage for 1 night, my 5-speed Impreza indicated 28-29 MPG when set on cruise control. My cumulative MPG over 1300 miles is around 24 MPG.

Do I think the ratings are optimistic? Yes, because I don't think most people drive like the way the EPA does its driving tests.
Am I still happy with the MPG I am getting? Yes, it is still a big improvement over my old vehicle. It is harder to match EPA ratings with the Impreza compared to my older vehicle with my driving style, but EPA ratings are still only ratings.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MINIz guy is offline   Reply With Quote