Scooby Newbie

Member#: 304175
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Limited
PBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by badz View Post
Lookin good! Just a few quesitons:

- Did you use a kit to hide any spaces on the sides? Or did you grab one of those smaller stereo panels?

- Did you have to undo the entire dash starting from the passenger side as described in this post here in order to install?

- What was wrong with the wiring harness from Axxess?

I know I'm asking some nitty gritty questions, but I'm just trying to build the confidence to do this myself soup to nuts, rather than waste the cash on an installer.
I'm using the Scosche dash kit that came with my H/U for "free" from Crutchfield. The kits you linked to are nice, but I'm fine with the Scosche. It blends well enough with the rest of the dash for my tastes. The only thing you have to be sure of with this dash kit and the 4400 is that when you attach it to the H/U chassis, you have to be sure the H/U is resting on the lower part of the opening. A gap of about 1/8" is left on the top of the dash kit opening. You can't see the gap after it's installed, but this is crucial for allowing the face to push out when tilting the view or ejecting/loading a disc. I had the h/u pushed up in the kit on my initial setup and threw a **** fit when I realized the unit wouldn't open. I made the adjustment and it's all good now.

As the other guys said, no need to remove the left part of the dash to access the trim. All of their methods will suffice to get that sucker cracked open.

As for the Axxess wiring....nothing was "wrong" with it. The only issue i ran into was whenI realized I'd have to cut into the Subaru's wiring to hook it up. I installed it without steering wheel controls, and today I ordered a new harness from SVXdc. That guy knows his stuff and answered my emails promptly. Hopefully, I'll have my harness by this weekend, and If i get the time I will pull the H/U out, wire in the new harness and have steering wheel controls.

You can do this install. This is one of the easiest cars I've dealt with. I've had a civic SI and a mazdaspeed 3, both of which required the dash to be dissected to get to the H/U.

Get your nuts out of the soup and do it. you'll be fine. there's plenty of resources here. hell, PM me and I'll scan the crutchfield master sheet and email it to you. easy step by step instructions with pics. save your money by not paying an installer.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
slowhat is offline   Reply With Quote