Turbo27
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 270182
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
OBP

Post History

I purchased my 2003 MBP WRX in May of 2010 with 121,000 miles on the clock. It was a good deal, I was looking for one and found this one locally, so I jumped on it. It turned out to be a good choice! Needed some work but progress has been made!

Here is what it looked like shortly after I picked it up:

Came with a CEL code for bad O2 sensor, TurboXS Short Ram, HKS SSQV BOV, Tein lowering springs on stock shocks, horrid 17" ICW racing wheels and no cats. For some reason it had a 3" downpipe with the flange cut off and an exhaust shop special 2 1/4" reduced and welded on to the DP with a generic muffler at the end. I painted the headlight housing and added the gold rally pig for the bling factor! lol... moving on...

Pretty much got rid of everything that was on the car besides the up-pipe and down-pipe and went back to stock for the first winter. Got a set of RS wheels with snow tires and painted them gold. While the car was at stock ride height I had some fun off-roading, but the car doesn't see this type of abuse anymore:

Flash forward to Spring 2011. Over winter I did my homework and decided to go with RCE Yellow spring and Koni Yellow shocks. I also picked up a set of Noltec camber plates for the front and 04 Group-N tophats for the rear. My swaybar endlinks were toasted so I also picked up a set of karboy endlinks for the front and back. Got an Accessport and a 3" Racing Beat (look them up, I'm a rotary guy also!) resonator and went 3" the rest of the way out from the downpipe with just the resonator. Car actually has a good tone and isn't loud at all by my standards. Cruising speeds you can hardly hear the engine, and for about $300 total investment in my "catback" 3" I'm pretty happy. After the exhaust was done I flashed to Stage 2 and that is how my car currently sits as far as engine mods.

My budget started to run thin due to the tsunami/earthquake in Japan (I work for a Toyota parts supplier) so I had to go budget and pick up some dunlop SP Sport 8000's for the RS wheels as a temporary hold over through summer. (These turned out to be very good tires for the money!)

Pics of the car with that suspension set up:

I paid $65/per tire for the SP Sport 8000's and loved everything about them except the sidewall strength left a lot to be desired. Here is what they looked like after a trip through Deal's Gap:

Currently my car is back on stock suspension and show tires while I modify my struts some more. Going to add the strut extenders and just sold the Noltecs to replace them with RCE lowering camber plates. By switching to this setup I'll be able to get a little more suspension travel AND lower the front to even things out.

Later I will post up my project for today: DEI Exhaust wrapping my Perrin downpipe before I have to install it. Also may take some pics of my parts pile/engine bay shots/whatever I feel like. I just got a new GoPro Hero2 so I want to try out the picture quality of it...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Turbo27; 03-04-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Turbo27 is offline   Reply With Quote