Scooby Guru

Member#: 90347
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgene View Post
You know Mav, that is such a fallacy in my experience.

Racing is not necessarily abuse. In some cases, and especially this case, it is using the vehicle for it's intended purpose.

Abuse is letting a bike with carburetors sit for several months with the gasoline in it turning to varnish and obstructing the jets. Abuse is not changing oil or changing the oil without changing the oil filter. Abuse is letting tires sit with low air pressure until they crack in the side wall. Abuse is not tightening a chain and ruining the swing arm, sprockets and protectors on the bike. Abuse is not keeping a bike on a battery tender through the winter, Abuse is never changing an air filter. I could go on and on and on. All of that neglect is abuse in my opinion.

Race bikes, when maintained properly, are many times bargains. They come with spares, aftermarket parts and were taken care of because the guys riding them knew what they were doing. When you race on a bike, your life depends on your machinery. You are going to make damn sure everything is right before you go out on a track on that machine and push the edge. You also have to pass a tech inspection to get the bike on the track. Most racers I've known do their own maintenance because they can't afford to have a dealership **** things up. They learn the right way and stay on top of the maintenance schedule to keep long term costs down.

"Never raced" is a selling point for the uneducated. Lots of riders now are getting into track days and racing which can theoretically be hard on the bike. Someone who doesn't really know how to do a prebuy inspection would therefore assume that a bike that's only seen the street is in better mechanical condition. This is hardly the case in reality.

A large percentage of people that do those sort of things are also pretty meticulous when it comes to maintenance. It comes with the territory really, if you're going to push your equipment, you damn well better make sure it's in good shape. Whereas your average joe riding to work or on a sunday isn't as likely to be so up on maintaining things.

It's obvious that track/race application puts additional wear/stress on the bike, so much so that the manufacture has increased periodicity of servicing, oil changes, valve checks, etc... One might equate this to "use age" on a bike rather than time-age, aka the proverbial "a light that shines twice as bright, lasts half as long" mentality.
Regardless, this typically translates into a lower market value - thus a common selling factor and bargain basement prices.

I looked that bike over in the photo pretty well. A person spending that kind of money on carbon fiber wheels in a state with an extremely limited riding season is not a stunter. I am certain it was very cared for. If you or anyone else here ever does get serious about acquiring a used bike, let me assist you. I'd be more than happy to. I am a resource for you and can give you the inside scoop on how I've been able to acquire a fleet of damn near pristine bikes for pennies on the dollar.

Lesson adjorned.
I appreciate the lesson nomad, I know your words are backed with years of experience. However I just can't see myself spending $6000 on a bike thats been on track and what not. For a couple more grand I can have a new one thats factory set up for street and not the track. I don't doubt that its a good bike and a great buy for someone. But if I spend the money for an R6 I'm going to buy new.

Maybe my experience with used cars is shaping my perspective of used bikes.

I'd also rather have a loan then drop 6k all at once on a bike. My plan is to trade in the Raider and use its trade in to pay it off. Basicly transfer the loan from it to a smaller bike. FZ8 would be the largest I'd go. Put some money down. If I bought that bike then I still have to sell the Raider. Ah well.

Besides you talked me out of getting an R6.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote