Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Turbo27
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 270182
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
OBP

Default Strut extensions and wheel fitment woes...

Alright so today I modified my strut housing so I could use the Koni strut extenders I bought.

For those who don't know, When installing koni inserts you drill a hole in the bottom of the strut housing to anchor it down. When this is done it will look like the pic below:

However, if you enlarge the hole, there is a "nub" on the end of the insert that can fit down through the hole allowing the strut to be lowered around 15mm or so.

Turn in Concepts sells the extenders created by D_rex, his original thread about it can be found here: How to Get More Bump Stroke From Koni Inserts

Here are mine after install. I just took the housing and stuck it in a lathe and enlarged the whole with a boring mill:

That is all for today, my tophats are on there way and I will assemble the front struts when they get here.

*a little side note on the koni inserts, I recommend putting some black silicone around the top of the housing and between the bottom of the housing and D_rex extenders. I have seen where people take them apart and water has gotten in there and started rusting everything. As you can see my insert looks fine after about 8 months of use.

Wheel debacle: Team Dynamics asked me to find a shop and they will pay for my wheels to be bored out to the correct hub bore size. This is obviously an inconvenience but I am glad they are working with me and trying to make things right. I'm calling tomorrow to find a place to do it at a reasonable price.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Turbo27 is offline   Reply With Quote