Turbo27
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 270182
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
OBP

Default Hand-working Aluminum

After a couple machine shops flaking out on me and my patience wearing thin, I decided to tackle removing the extra 2mm from my hub bore myself.
Went to home depot and picked up a couple 80 grit flapwheels for my Dremel and went to work.

For those of you who have never tried cutting or grinding aluminum before let me give you a few pointers: Firstly, you have to take your time. The more material you try to take off the hotter the aluminum gets. If it gets too hot it will start to melt and gum up your grinding disk or endmill or whatever you are using and make it useless. The best way to do it is with a flap wheel which will keep from heating up and keep the temps down on the aluminum. Make sure you take your time and make lots of passes and keep the wheel moving across the surface. It actually works very well. Took my about 3 hours to do all 4 wheels while test fitting them and then taking off more material as needed. I honestly think this worked out better than what i would have gotten if i had a machine shop do it. The wheels are definitely hubcentric now. It is basically a slip fit on the hubs!

Here are some before and after pics of what the hubs look like:

BEFORE

AFTER

Will get some pics of the fitment and the car tomorrow possibly!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Turbo27 is offline   Reply With Quote