Scooby Newbie

Member#: 90540
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
06 Baja
Black

Default '06 Baja Clutch/Tranny Noises

Synopsis:
There's a couple noises from the area of the transmission that I don't like.

Particulars:
  • 2006 Baja Sport
  • 5 speed manual transmission
  • ~53,500 miles
  • Brand new to me. I've driven the last hundred miles or so.

Symptoms:
  • When the clutch pedal is pressed and the clutch disengaged, there's a distinct and continuous "rubbing" sound. It occurs when the vehicle is at rest and in motion, and occurs regardless of what gear the transmission may be in when the clutch is disengaged.
  • In first and second gear, when the clutch is engaged, there's a distinct rattling sound. It sounds like loose gravel in a tumbler, or a quiet heat shield rattle. I've looked at the heat shield, and it seems pretty solid (there are also sections simply missing). I have not been able to hear it in third or higher.
  • First and third gears can be temperamental to shift into. A quick shift can cause them to grind easily. Taking time with the shift helps with this. The other gears seem normal, equaling my experience in my old '97 OBW.
Possible causes:
I'm thinking the first noise is a pilot or throw out bearing going bad. The second has me concerned that there may be internal damage to the transmission, since it's apparently limited to specific gears.

Possible resolutions (in order):
  • Replace the gear oil.
  • Replace the TO and pilot bearings, along with the TOB retaining clips. May as well swap the clutch while I'm in there.
  • Replace the tranny.

Any thoughts?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by theluckyone; 03-26-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Corrected order of proposed resolutions
theluckyone is offline   Reply With Quote