Member#: 283467
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 STi
Plasma Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrider_99 View Post
My conclusions regarding this are:

a) only a small portion of all STI owners are on NASIOC or IWSTI so we are most likely blowing this problem out of proportion.

b) There's certainly a weakness in some STI engines and they will blow up regardless of the tune. But all car makers have occasional quality failulres on some units.

c) crappy drivers/bad tunes/mods are most likely the primary cause of this.
How many floor their cars in 6th gear going 60 mph?
How many are aware of CL/OL and boost creep (especially in cold weather)?
How many enjoy bouncing off the rev-limiter or using FFS and LC in excess?
How many drive their cars hard cold?
How many maintain their car according to Subaru guidelines (ex.: people who use the same oil in ALL their cars and disregard Subaru requirements).
How many beat their cars in general? No one buys this car to drive it slowly...
The list goes on...

I would not have any problems buying a STI, I would keep it stock for a year (15-20k miles) and if nothing breakes, start modding intelligently thereafter.

You hit the nail on the head!!! All the variables you listed in (c) (plenty more too) are the areas people don't like to admit to after they blow there motor.

Not to mention that we see probably 20 (Exaggeration for point of percentages) of the same people in these forums complaining about tunes and blowing motors from 08 to 11. In those 4 years there were appromixately 12,000 STi's sold in the US. Therefore you are talking about 0.16 percent of the total cars sold in this timeframe of 4 years had this issue or .6 percent of cars per year (20 per year at 3,000 cars sold). And I bet this percent that did have the problem, beat the living S**T out of their cars right off the lot, tuned, modded, etc..., then wonder why it blew and needs a re-build.

Gotta love the people who "drove it like they stole it", the complain when the car dies or runs like crap. Like I said in my previous post - I have 23K on my stock 2011 STi and it runs great! I broke it in per Subaru guidelines, hit all my scheduled maintances, and STILL HAVE THE OEM TUNE!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by STiNemesis; 04-04-2012 at 01:56 PM.
STiNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote