bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNemesis

You are not obligated or required to run Subaru oil or 5w-30 in the slightest. Subaru recommends their own oil...obivously. However, the owners manual states that you can use different oils as long as they are synthetic and meet all the AG/SM, etc... criteria. The manual even states that the use of 5W-40 (what T6 is) is ok, especially for high temp areas, agressive driving, etc... In addition, I have asked three dealerships and all agreed that you don't have to run Subaru oil or 5W-30 for that matter. Just make sure whatever you are using is within the manuals guidelines. Personally, I use T6 with a Subaru OEM filter - I have 23K on my stock 2011 STi and she runs like a champ! No hesistion issues, no burnt oil...now just waiting for warranty to run out *knock on wood*

More people need to actually read the manual instead of making assumptions.
Actually, SoA has removed the references to thicker viscosities in the manual. They say that 5W-40 conventional can be used for replenishment only, although no such oil exists.

Lots of new WRX's and STI's running RT6 though. Check out the uoa's in the Service & Maintenance Forum.

-Dennis
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote