View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 03:51 AM   #69
pirivan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 316353

I apologize if this isn't the best place to jump on with my question, I am a complete newbie (both to this forum and in terms of my familiarity with car audio systems). I recently purchased a new 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i (CVT) base model. I wanted the aux jack so that I could connect my iPhone for audio but the dealer actively encouraged not to pay the installation fees they would charge and to instead save the money and pay for a nicer system from some other vendor. Which leads me here.

I would like a new HU that gives me the following ability

1. Aux input jack
2. Bluetooth audio streaming from iPhone
3. Bluetooth calling
4. Use nav from phone on HU via app (Motion X?)
5. HD Radio
6. Option for a rear camera at some point would be great (or with this install if it's cheap)

After a lot of reading here I am pretty sure I want one of the following two HU's that I believe will fit my 2012 Impreza without any issues:
Pioneer AVH-P3400BH
Pioneer AVH-P4400BH

I am not really sure what the 4400 offers over the 3400 really (other than a bigger screen) but I am not averse to spending $100 if it's worth it. Who knows maybe the AVH-P2400BT meets my needs .

Here is a breakdown of my current situation:
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i CVT (base model)
Current system- stock
Installer experience- Absolutely none.
Budget- $600 (less is always nice)
Future Goals- Possibly a rear camera at some point

Honestly, I have absolutely 0 interest in installing this myself. I have no experience and I'd rather not mess around with my brand new ride!

What I would like to know primarily is:

1. Should I get the Pioneer 3400 or 4400?
2. Should I buy the HU online and then have a vendor install it for me or should I buy it directly from whoever I buy the service for? Good or bad idea? Would I need to provide the extra parts as well (like the 20 pin forward harness, Axxess ASWC and Dash kit)?
3. Anyone have any GOOD car audio vendor recommendations for Western WA that might be able to do this? Pretty much everyone I can locate online seems to have their own set of bad reviews that makes me feel a bit ill at ease. I'd love to take it to a trusted local vendor.
4. What should I expect to pay for installation labor for something like this?
5. Should I have a rear camera installed at the same time? Any recommendations for models on this or if this is a good/bad idea? I admit I haven't done much research on this yet.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/responses!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
pirivan is offline   Reply With Quote