View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #28
kfriede
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 236249
Chapter/Region: SCIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltedyak50 View Post
yup, screens in the oil lines, they blow apart and get sucked into the turbo. I'm looking for an LGT in a few months. That's the only (big/common) issue I'm aware of.

First mod= vf52 and new oil lines, bolts right up and you can get nice used ones off here from 08+ wrx's.
Not completely true. The banjo bolt has a little screen in it that filters contaminants out of the line before feeding the oil into the turbo. If you have dirty oil, that screen gets clogged, and eventually ends up letting no oil into your turbo, which causes tremendous shaft play, metal grinding on metal, and bits of metal being sent into your engine causing that to fail as well. Subaru's original recommended oil change when the car first came out was something close to 7k miles. Since these incidents they have reduced the change frequency to somewhere around 3.5k. You're going to have this problem no matter what turbo you have if you continue to neglect your oil and check your banjo bolt screen every 30k miles or so. It's not the easiest to get to which is why it's not done very often. Yes, the oil filter is supposed to be doing that, but if it gets clogged or too full it will go into bypass mode.

Another issue I have heard a few things about is using an oil filter that is too big and ends up heating up the oil before it goes into the turbo due to the exhaust being too close.

So basically, change your oil frequently, use good oil, and use Subaru OEM filters.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kfriede is offline   Reply With Quote