Scooby Guru

Member#: 92634
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
'07 Land Cruiser
'12 RAV4 EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley
I find this very interesting, as I've always thought the ideal consumer for an EV in the near to mid term is as a commuter. A two car family could have the kid hauler that is capable of road trips, and the other car could be an EV. Easy enough to do most peoples commutes well within a 75 or 100 mile range, and easy enough to plug in every night to recharge.

In any event, I find the renewed interest in EV's interesting and think it is a good thing.
That's clearly what Nissan thought, too, when they packaged the Leaf: for the solo driver it'd make a better commuter car. The market seems to agree as well, with the projected sales for this Tesla mashup over 3 years several times less than the (still small) number of Leafs already sold.

In my household, at least, a bigger EV would make more sense. At least while I'm in Seattle I will most definitely not be in a car to commute, instead traveling the 12 miles to work astride my electric bike or seated on a bus. Parking and traffic are expensive and a bitch, respectively, regardless of one's vehicle's source of propulsion. Therefore my wife would be the main driver, and with kids in our future plans her vehicle would have to be capable of both carting her to work and dropping the future offspring off at school (as per the stereotype above).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
shikataganai is offline   Reply With Quote