Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
xluben
Scooby Guru

Member#: 261612
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Default DIY Flip / Switchblade Key for Subaru

For any questions, please email me (not PM or my box will fill up) via NASIOC (click HERE), and I will help you as much as I can!

THIS ALSO WORKS ON PRIOR to 2011 MODELS. SEE BELOW FOR MORE INFO:

Parts Needed:
  • Flip Key Shell (Laser or Non-Laser Cut Blade Depending on Car Model and Year)
  • Legacy Remote (Model Varies Depending on Car Model and Year)
  • OEM Transponder from Current Key (If Needed Depending on Car Model and Year)
Legacy Remote Known Compatibility:

2002-2007 WRX
2002-2007 STI
2002-2007 Impreza
2005-2009 Legacy
2003-2008 Forester

2011-2013 WRX
2011-2013 STI
2011-2012 Legacy

08-10 Impreza will also require the 09 Legacy reciever box.

For any questions, please email me (not PM or my box will fill up) via NASIOC (click HERE), and I will help you as much as I can!

I do not recommend buying any of these parts on eBay. There have been many, many issues with people getting incorrect or mis-listed parts from eBay. For the flip key housing and Legacy remote, they are hard to find, please email me (not PM or my box will fill up) via NASIOC (click HERE), and I will help you obtain one.

Once you have all the parts, you can start by opening up the flip key shell. It should just open right up, but be careful not to lose any parts. There is a spring under tension, so it may pop out. It should look like this.

Looking at the disassembled flip key parts, you will see that the blank key blade is held into the pivot mechanism by a small roll pin. Simply insert the blade (with the slot in the correct orientation (so it lines up with the hole for the roll pin), and then push the roll pin back in (I used the punch/hammer and gently tapped it into place). It is recommended, but not always necessary, to have the blade cut before installing it.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by xluben; 12-17-2013 at 04:07 PM.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote