Scooby Guru

Member#: 92634
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
'07 Land Cruiser
'12 RAV4 EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxotty View Post
Just so you know 90% is very high for charger efficiency. The tesla packs, which this has use tons of energy rushing fluid around and so forth while charging. Your efficiency will be lower than 90% almost for sure. Also as you said the mileage won't work out, and you don't list a discount rate. Otherwise it seems fine, but the resale for EVs won't stay high if people can buy a new one. The reason the old RAV4 EVs had such high resale is no one could buy one otherwise.
EVs will remain relatively scarce on the market in the short term. I bet resale values will remain high, albeit not to the absurd levels seen before. As you yourself noted, though, resale values are only relevant if one is looking to sell a vehicle (or be reimbursed by insurance for a loss). This would be one to hang onto, in my view.

Tesla quotes 86% charging efficiency for their Roadster's 53 kWh battery + charger setup, see link below. They also quote 0.215 kWh/mi energy efficiency for said obese-Lotus Roadster, so I feel the combination of my 90% charging efficiency estimate for the smaller RAV4 EV pack and 0.440 kWh/mi energy efficiency for the larger, heavier vehicle probably are close to reality, if not a bit conservative yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_R...rgy_efficiency

By discount rate do you mean the value of the money not spent up front for the EV in the gas scenario? With savings accounts yielding 1.1%, if that, it's not such a big concern to me.

12k miles over a year works out to 32 miles and change per day. That's certainly possible even with the charge-only-at-home scenario that must will adhere to (my guess).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
shikataganai is offline   Reply With Quote