Scooby Guru

Member#: 3102
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Ice Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulagain
Hi everyone, I just joined after a couple of weeks of lurking for my own selfish gains (particularly the camera and car audio DIY threads). Figured I should contribute at this point instead of just leeching

Here's my experience sofar w/the camera install on the 2012 hatchback. Thanks SVXDc for your help with the harness and troubleshooting!

I started by going the cheapskate route the first time ironically because of the lack of reference material on the 2012 HU, I figured I wouldn't be out much $ if it didnt work. Well, my advice is if you're at this stage, invest that $27 you're thinking of spending on a Fleabay camera elsewhere and buy quality the first time and be done. A cheap camera is cheap for a reason!

Here's the exact camera I started with: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCD-SONY-CAR...item3a6e47793c. It was appealing because of the Sony CCD, 520 TV lines and 720x512 resolution and relatively little modding to get it to fit flush. Honestly? It had great picture quality when it worked - for 5 minutes.

I was banging my head because it worked perfectly without any issues when I finished the install, then when I went out to start my car in the morning it wouldn't display. Later the same day it magically worked again, and coincidentally the 'start it in reverse' symptom a few others have had seemed to fit... but then it stopped working when I parked to test it again and never turned back on. To be sure I tested it on a seperate battery and monitor today and it failed so I could rule out the harness or other factors being the culprit.

The good news is all the scouring I've done (all the 2012 specific posts here and on nasioc, google, etc.) did yield a good result.

$133: 2011 Subaru Forester Back-up Camera | eBay

It's a Subie dealer so it's definitelky OEM. $133 shipped isn't bad. Found it in Cali for $168 from another dealer as well.

http://parts.subaru.com/subaruparts/...bcat5=0&retval=

They don't list the specs (effective pixels/TV lines/lux) so I have no idea what the image quality will be. Does anyone happen to have these?

I guess the reason the OEM is more appealing is that it might fit the license plate light cutout w/some slight modding vs having to cut, drill or hide wires on the fascia.

Anyhow, I'll let you know how it goes despite what I end up buying. Not going to make the same mistake again though... either getting the Kenwood, the Forester OEM or really --> ideal camera would be the best balance of durability and image quality. Hmm...

Any suggestions? Is the 200 the best camera for ~$150? Id really like to see the specs on the Forester OEM camera. It's still surprising to me that there are no Impreza specific OEM cameras for sale anywhere since they are an OEM option on Imprezas outside of the US.
I've been happy with this one, US seller, etc. It's a little big, but the quality is good.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=280783021008

As for your reverse issue, I'd make sure you have a proper ground from your 8 pin harness.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BrysImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote