Scooby Newbie

Member#: 286999
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STI
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenny View Post
Got it as promised. Great customer service. Product fits great with no issues.

The install was one of the hardest DIY projects I've done.
I removed the jack plate, but did not touch the exhaust, and did not jack up the motor. I did have to remove the heat shield on the left stock header. I removed the pan with 2 swivel joints and 1/4" socket and extensions. Removing the pan bolts wasn't the problem. Removing the pan however was extremely difficult. Rubber malletting it and using a screwdriver to pry (which you shouldn't do) and kicking wouldn't budge the pan.

Finally got it off using an xacto blade from a hobby shop, and needle nose pliers to hold and maneuver it. I cut the gasket seal in all the places i could and pulled down holding tension. It finally came off. I was able to place the new pickup tube in place (without the pan) with the screws very lightly threaded in. Once the pickup tube was loosely attached, I then maneuvered the pan with new gasket material into place. With the pan angled just right about 30 to 40 degrees, i had access to further tighten the 3 pickup screws. Then pushed on the pan to seal and tightened all the pan bolts

For me, it took 3 hours x 3 days to complete it. If you're doing it alone, i would make sure i had a backup car in the meantime. I had to bang out the pan and flatten the lip which i mucked up and then paint it. So this took time. The easiest way for me to remove the gasket material once the pan was off was with my dremel and a steel brush. I used black RTV to seal, others have used grey

Been running for a week with no leaks. My OEM tube was fine but now I don't have to wonder or worry.
why did u only lightly thread the bolts for the new pickup tube and not fully tighten them before putting the pan on?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
booSTIfied is offline   Reply With Quote