View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #212
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 286999
Chapter/Region: SCIC
2004 Impreza WRX STI

Originally Posted by yenny View Post
Got it as promised. Great customer service. Product fits great with no issues.

The install was one of the hardest DIY projects I've done.
I removed the jack plate, but did not touch the exhaust, and did not jack up the motor. I did have to remove the heat shield on the left stock header. I removed the pan with 2 swivel joints and 1/4" socket and extensions. Removing the pan bolts wasn't the problem. Removing the pan however was extremely difficult. Rubber malletting it and using a screwdriver to pry (which you shouldn't do) and kicking wouldn't budge the pan.

Finally got it off using an xacto blade from a hobby shop, and needle nose pliers to hold and maneuver it. I cut the gasket seal in all the places i could and pulled down holding tension. It finally came off. I was able to place the new pickup tube in place (without the pan) with the screws very lightly threaded in. Once the pickup tube was loosely attached, I then maneuvered the pan with new gasket material into place. With the pan angled just right about 30 to 40 degrees, i had access to further tighten the 3 pickup screws. Then pushed on the pan to seal and tightened all the pan bolts

For me, it took 3 hours x 3 days to complete it. If you're doing it alone, i would make sure i had a backup car in the meantime. I had to bang out the pan and flatten the lip which i mucked up and then paint it. So this took time. The easiest way for me to remove the gasket material once the pan was off was with my dremel and a steel brush. I used black RTV to seal, others have used grey

Been running for a week with no leaks. My OEM tube was fine but now I don't have to wonder or worry.
why did u only lightly thread the bolts for the new pickup tube and not fully tighten them before putting the pan on?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
booSTIfied is offline   Reply With Quote