Next we decided to start on what was keeping us from putting a battery in the car. The previous owner (before my grandfather) had put something on the wires surrounding a section of wire that passes the battery. It looked absolutely terrible and we couldn't tell if there was potential for a short or not. So we jumped in.
First we took out the front floorboard (all of the floor in the car is made from wood, btw)
This is the problem
So we put the car up on jackstands and got to work
It took a while but we eventually got the crap off. You're probably wondering what it is. It ended up being some sort of rubber shrink wrap that the PO wrapped around the wires, using little wire ties to secure before he applied the heat. It appears that he applied too much heat and caught the stuff on fire and melted it all up.
We got it all off and found a few sections of exposed wire under there. Back when these were made, they didn't have plastic-enclosed wiring, so they used fabric to insulate wires. This makes working with the stuff kind of scary haha. We decided to pretty much end work for the day after we got all of that done and cleaned up the garage. I did get some more random photos of stuff though.
DO NOT touch those while the car is running...
The differential and rear transverse leaf spring
And the muffler. The exhaust has all been replaced except for the muffler which is still in pretty good condition. So that's one job that we don't have to do.