Member#: 200496
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Obsidian Black

Default 2008 Head Gasket vs Cooling System

2008 WRX: Engine mods include Perrin TMIC, AEM CAI, Turboback, Protune
Hi,
I had a recent previous thread about my WRX with coolant overflowing and then overheating after a new T-stat. I thought I fixed it with new radiator caps as the car ran normal temps around town and spirited driving.

However, this weekend at a track day, my car went down. After the first HPDE session my coolant overflow reservoir was full almost to the top and boiling. Coolant temps were 185-190F during the session and not over 200 after coming in. The coolant did not get pulled back into the block after a cool down. After the second session the coolant was "puking" out. I skipped the 3rd and 4th session and coolant remained at the top of reservoir. On the drive home, coolant temps were 181F.

I found a thread on IWSTI about the heads lifting when pushing the car like at the track. The coolant in the reservoir had dark flecks floating in it and some brown sludge at the bottom.

Ok, long story. I'm pretty sure the head gasket is blown and the car is going to the shop tomorrow. Are there any recommended items to do while the engine is out short of a new short block at this time?

I was thinking of ARP studs, OEM head gasket, heads decked and pressure tested. I could also add Group N engine mounts, Kartboy pitch stop, and Crawford AOS.
How about a Koyo radiator and silicone hoses as I want to keep going to HPDE's?

Future plans will be adding VF52, 1000 injectors, fuel pump, E85, TGV delete. I was going to head towards more track car than DD, but I will probably get a RWD car (in 1-2 years) for track days and then keep the WRX for DD/winter driving.
Thanks,
Tim
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BigAir is offline   Reply With Quote