subaru505
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 321645
Vehicle:
03 03 rsti
black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDScooby View Post
Anything over ~260whp and the stock 5MT box is going to shred itself; mainly 2nd-3rd gears seeing as those are the two gears that see the most use. If your box is already in bad shape and you are set on having a car with that many horsies in it, go with a USDM or JDM 6sp conversion. Scour the Conversion and Drivetrain threads for info on the the needed items. But your best bet is going that route.

Stay away from the JDM Sti 5spd's and other gear swaps into your bugeye. I'm only saying this because recently I wanted to go that route and a friend of mine that drives ST-2 class NASA has replaced, and I ***** you not around 50-60 of those types of gearboxes in his EG33 swapped car and his daily driver 02 WRX (which now has a JDM Ver. 8 swap). To quote him *ahem* "I see so many newcomers want to do the F***ing economic thing and do a 5spd or the track drivers with the crappy PPG's and I'm the one who ends up pulling these time bombs apart!! It's not a matter of IF the car is going to shred its own gearbox, its when!"

I dunno, but experience in the performance world of cars (my previous one was a blown Mustang GT) has taught me to default to those with the experience. Real world knowledge and such. IF you want safe and reliable gears, just do yourself a favor. Swap a Ver. 8 or 9 6spd in w/some Extra-S tranny fluid and you'll be safe and happy forever...well almost.

hope it helps dude, good luck.
ok but i see all these things like axles and other stuff are these things necessary for the swap i just want the six speed
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
subaru505 is offline   Reply With Quote