View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #71
1slowscoobie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 316880
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Wish I would have seen this before I got the OEM crossbars!

I am looking at the Yakima Forklift and wondering if that setup will work... I have sport aero bars and a roof spoiler in the rear. Sounds like I may be happier with new crossbars. Also not sure if the spoiler will be in the way. Anyone else have a good 2-bike setup on their sport imp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycling4fitness View Post
i have OEM crossbars that came with the package on the impreza sport i got. design flaws that I notice was:
1. the crossbars can easily be taken off by a torx screwdriver. hence i you have an expensive bike on top i can easily be stolen in less than 10 mins
2. the foot of the crossbars are 8 inches wide. there is only 26 inches of space where you can attach anything. (front crossbars are 27 inches wide but you got to follow the rear crossbar width if you want to mount a bike rack straight.
3. the crossbar is curved. i bought the yakima forklift and mounted a bike. the bike is not perfectly perpendicular to the cars roof, slightly in an angle towards the outside of the car.
4. Once a bike is mounted there is a little shake coming from the crossbars itself. one foot (the Right side) of the crossbar cannot be tighten down. this can be very dangerous when you are hauling a heavy bike with a lot of wind on the road.

after 2 weeks of using the EOM crossbars went back to my old yakima rack.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
1slowscoobie is offline   Reply With Quote