Thread: Sti - 2.5RS
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2003, 03:56 AM   #12
shirokuma
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5489
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: The Empire of Seattle
Vehicle:
2013 FR-S
AVO Orange

Default

I think we are running up against a dictionary definition of "all new" vs. "evolutionary".

The 2.5 turbo is an evolution of previous Subaru motors. In some ways it is definitely brand new - there was no 2.5-litre turbo factory motor before. In some ways it's merely evolutionary - much of the design isn't going to differ greatly from previous designs used in their flat fours.

Technically, the current JDM 2.0-turbo isn't terribly different from the original, hand-made motors in the Ver. 0 STi's. However, it's obvious nearly everything has evolved and been tweaked since then.

Base line - the 2.5 turbo motor is not a "tweaked" 2.5 NA motor. It certainly is related to it, but then, Whoopi Goldberg and Halle Berry's physical makeup also may technically be 90% the same, but it's the other 10% that makes a world of difference.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
www.apexjapan.com
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
shirokuma is offline