View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
nolant
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 124118
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon
MBP

Once the reflector bowl is removed, be sure not to lose these (2) pieces. There is one on each side of the reflector bowl.

The next part is the ONLY irreversible part of the retrofit. In order for the Moromoto Mini H1 projectors to be properly mounted, you have to remove a bit off the back of the reflector bowl. Removing this material allows the threads on the back of the projectors to protrude far enough out of the back of the reflector bowl to thread on the lockring. I measured 1/4" down from the edge all the way around:

I used a dremel cutoff wheel to remove the material:

At this point, a test fit is a good idea. The projector has a threaded post on the back that fits through the front of the reflector bowl. The order goes, projector, rubber grommet, reflector bowl, flat washer, lockring. I DID NOT use the included adapter plates that are intended to eliminate the guesswork from rotational aiming. They were somewhat cumbersome, and I would have had to remove much more material for them to fit properly. To clarify, with this method of mounting, the lockring on the back of the projector is all that holds the reflector in place. It is surprisingly solid despite my initial reservations. There is an alternate method of mounting where you drill (4) holes aligned with the mounting holes of the projector as well as a method known as the JnC method, which allows for rotational adjustments. Additionally, some people choose to epoxy everything together once they get the alignment just right. I chose not to epoxy and the only thing holding the projector in place is the torqued-down lockring. So far it has been fine.

Front:

Back:
(You can run the bi-xenon solenoid wires through the hole where the bulb cover on the reflector bowl used to be)

Once you are satisfied with the mounting, you should take care of any aesthetic mods you desire. I masked off the part of the bezel that reflects the turn signal, and painted the rest of the bezel and the reflector bowl satin black.

You can use Krylon Fusion paint directly on the chromed plastic pieces. Just clean the parts to be painted in the sink with soap and water and finish with an alcohol cleaning pad.

Painting is really not my strong suit, but these came out well. Use plenty of light coats (4-5) and allow 15-20 min. in between.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by nolant; 06-18-2012 at 06:11 PM.
nolant is offline   Reply With Quote