View Single Post
Old 04-23-2003, 12:44 AM   #10
MNbiker
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 18148
Vehicle:
'08 WRX
Dark Gray

Default Re: racing on street tires a couple times... will this work?

Quote:
Originally posted by superhero
Do any of you race on the same tire/wheels as you drive the street... can I get away with this??

I only plan on doing a couple races (stock class) and am still having trouble deciding what will be great on the road and good on the track the few times I do go... THANKS!

My track experience this year may only include a driver training course and one race.

I also think there is a difference between autocross (is this a slalom type event?) and racing laps around a track... please let me know which tires you would use for either of these events if they are different...

I'm lost right now... if my questions needs to be more clear let me know - THANKS!

daniel
Personally, I wouldn't bother getting special tires for racing, if all you plan is a limited number of events. Heck, even the stock RE-92's are excellent to learn on. Lower-grip tires tend to be easier to learn on, as they break away more gradually.

As for ripping up tires, you shouldn't have problems at shorter autocross-type events, if you do two things: 1. inflate your tires to somewhere in the mid 40's cold. 2. Get a GOOD alignment - make sure the shop gets you as much negative camber as possible in the front.

Track racing's another story - you can eat up street tires pretty fast on a track, due to heat buildup.

-Steve
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MNbiker is offline   Reply With Quote