Old 07-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
phenryiv1
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 91212
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

Default Painting "rare" white wheels red: Sacrilegious?

Sorry if this belongs in exterior appearance...

I have a SWP 2011 WRX that I took to my first HPDE. My winter wheels are the OEM WRX wheels. My summer wheels are OZ Ultraleggeras in nearly the same gunmetal color as the OEM wheels.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up some "rare" JDM Enkei Competition Tarmac wheels in 17x8. I considered running them as my summer wheels after the AD08s that they are currently wearing are spent, but several things have led me away from that option.

First, while they look great in pictures, they are a definate 10-foot finish. If I was going to run them daily, I'd probably want to get the refinished some way, somehow.

Second, the pearl white of the car and the non-pearl of the wheels looks a bit off:

The other issue is the brake dust (worse with track pads than my street pads):

Lastly, they lack center caps. I could get around that, but the long story short is that these will probably be my track wheels.

So given the fact that I want to repaint them at some point and given that white seems to be pretty unforgiving for brake dust (and they will be track wheels), I was thinking of painting them a different color. Having 2 sets of grey-ish wheels, I was thinking red...something like the OZ red here:

Or like this:

So opinions on red wheels in general aside, is it a crime againt humanity to take a rare (white) wheel and paint it a different color?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote