gabedude
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10108
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
07 STI
60Trim spun rod bearing

Cool My turbo is arriving today!

Kamak (most Kinugawa bolt on turbos are simply re-branded Kamak's) believes their thrust bearing design is far superior to an MHI thrust bearing (they claim 30% porosity for obsorbing oil which allows the turbo to run cooler). The bearings were re-designed about 3 years ago, after the posts about the non-mhi thrust bearing failures made by some turbo builders in the USA. I don't think Kamak even uses any Mitsubishi parts in their turbos anymore. They make all their stuff at their main facility in Taiwan. Kinugawa is in the same building.

Even the EVO guys are starting to embrace some of their turbo offerings (the favorite being the TD06-SL2 20G). One EVO guy on evolutionm.net bought the same turbo as I am getting (TD06SL2-25G 8CM^2; ported anti-surge 3 inch compressor cover; his is twinscroll, but mine has the newer "STS" turbine wheel design and the newer billet "GTX" aluminum compressor wheel; it is a superback wheel as well) for his 2.3L stroker 4g63. With the slightly older wheels, he is making 540 ft/lbs of WTQ on gas and is not finished tuning it. The front end of his EVO "lifts" off the ground according to him. Similar very good reviews on the Kinugawa turbos can be found on evom.net. Good reviews for Kamak / Kinugawa turbos have been on all the boards abroad.

I'll post up pics and my inital thoughts tonight.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
gabedude is offline   Reply With Quote