quentinberg007
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7887
Vehicle:
2015 Dodge Charger
HelloCatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya

Have you ever tried to back a FWD based 4wd car up a ramp? It's a no go, also if you car slides off the road into a ditch and you try to get back up? Or driving down a louisiana farm road covered in mud? Rock crawling is an extreme example i gave, notice the use of the word "type", but there are situations where you simply need more available torque to a specific wheel.

I wasn't talking anything newer toyota 4wd systems, nor other toyota 4wd systems. I was talking specifically about the rav4 system. If you visit the link i put up, you will see the differences. Toyota does offer fulltime 4WD systems in their other vehicles, but the rav4 is a FWD based system to keep cost and size down.

Also, if you go back and reread SHIK's statement, it does in fact imply an actual lockable differential. "Lock" is a misused word by toyota, it should be called MAX 4WD or something to that effect. I was merely clarifying so misinformation doesn't perpetuate down the interwebs.

Oh and BTW, my wife owns a 2011 Toyota Rav 4. I own an impreza and i drive both in the snow as she's too afraid too. We also get plowed in during a snow storm as our garage is too full to put the cars in there. I can tell you the subaru pulls out no problem every time without issue, the rav 4 hesitates a little more getting over the snow hump to get out onto the street.
Thank you, Dr symantics. I was well aware of all of that already (other than your particular vehicle ownership situation.) Despite shik misusing 'diff lock', his point stands. It isn't a true slip and pray system like a lot of the other systems. In general, I've bren impressed with mom's rav. It has made it out of everything my brothers' OBXT and GC6 RS have.

No, I haven't tried to off road a FWD based 4WD. I have a real 4WD system. :P
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
quentinberg007 is offline   Reply With Quote