Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #332
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 202554
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

As I mentioned the other day, I am a little behind on this build thread. I buttoned up my immediate projects, triple checked all torque settings, fluids, and connectors. Then cranked the car over and miraculously, the old subie fired right up. I can't tell you how happy just that made me, as I was so worried that I had ****ed something up and would be spending a month tracking down a gremlin or two that was preventing the car from getting tuned and back on the road.

I must say the wrx sounds downright viscious, the Perrin header, APS up-pipe and 3 inch catback exhaust give it a definite menace, a good deep throaty sound. I joke around and say it sounds like a pissed off go cart. So I had reflashed an OTS Cobb accessport stage 2 tune for 91 octane gas per CObb's recommendation, although they said the equal length manifold would make the tune not optimal for driving around, but fine to bleed the air out of the coolant. I have a fire extinguisher at the ready, as the header wrap is smoking constantly, as they do for the first couple heat cycles. So I bleed the coolant, with a carefull eye on all dash gauges, and notice I have an oil leak, that has dumped about a half quart of oil on the ground over ten minutes at idle. Frustrating to say the least, but at least the car fired up properly. My first instict was that I had either blown the rear main seal or the Killer Bee oil pan had a leak in the rear (like I had not tightened properly the pan bolts), as it was coming down over my power steering rack.

Fortunately I have had the car broken down and completely apart, so I know how to do this process relatively easily. First off drop my headers..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by soccer05; 08-14-2012 at 01:03 PM.
soccer05 is offline   Reply With Quote