View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Dave240
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 135069
Default 2.5RS timing belt jump a tooth?

Car is a 2000 2.5RS with 240,000 kms on it. Timing belt was done probably 30-40,000 kms ago. Just got back from a 7000 KM road trip with no problems then yesterday, I drove it and everything seemed fine, stopped for about 10 minutes, then went to start it and it would start but ran extremely rough, shaking the whole engine violently so I immediately shut it off. I got code P0341 which is camshaft position sensor. I checked the wiring and replaced the sensor, and restarted it again, but the problem continued and I shut it off.

I pulled the timing cover off and noticed that the crank pulley was actually wearing away the timing cover. Also the A/C belt had moved over one rib and started to rub against the timing cover. I had recently changed my PS/Alt belt and didn't notice this, so it's a fairly new problem. Picture:

One I got the timing cover off, I set the pulley on the driver side to the correct mark:

This is how the crank looked. Obviously it is off.

This is the passenger side.

So what happened? Did it just jump off a tooth or two? What would cause this to happen? Like I said, I just did a huge road trip with the car including a stint in 120F heat in Death Valley and had no problems at all. Is it possible that I didn't bend any valves being this far off the mark? What should I be replacing to ensure this doesn't happen again? Idler, tensioner?

Thanks!
Dave
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Dave240 is offline   Reply With Quote