Shef
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 283310
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT E85
2014 Forester 2.0XT SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrider_99 View Post
First gen legacy... You're talking about the 89-94 model?

First, it was many years ago when expectations were lower and traffic was slower. Secondly the legacy was built with several versions of the EJ20, including a TURBO. Yes TURBO. At least you had the choice back then, fast track to 2012 and we have just one engine with the torque of a compact car in a small SUV. Very poor engine choice from Subaru IMO. I'm sure a turbo will be available down the line but the N/A should have been better suited to this great chassis.
There has never been a Legacy in the U.S. with a factory installed EJ20, sorry. I don't think the U.S. has ever seen a 2.0 NA subaru motor till the new impreza/XV/BRZ. They went straight from the 1.8 to the 2.2 in the impreza (was there an EA20??). All the 89-94 legacy's had the EJ22, with the turbo's having an EJ22T (I've had 3 NA's and one turbo from this generation). The turbo models still only had 160hp/180ft lbs stock so they are out gunned by both a modern EJ25 or light weight newer EJ20 impreza. (unless you're at altitude where FI doesn't lose as much hp as the N/A's).

Yep, it has less hp than the EJ25 but it weighs less and gets better mileage. The standard impreza with the new EJ20 is faster than the older (heavier version) with the EJ25 even though it has 32 less hp (not sure if that applies to the outback sport vs. XV though). It's all about hp/weight not pure HP #'s.

They'll sell a ton
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Shef is offline   Reply With Quote