Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Rising Son
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 331418
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
1999 Impreza Type R
792 Silver

Hey mate last year the wife and I imported our MY99 STI Type R to OZ. You can import any car as long is it`s a personal import. First of all you need to make sure you got all documents Import Approval form is most important then I was getting asked for proof of ownership receipt of purchase rego docs and **** like that! You have to have owned the car for minimum 12 months too.

Once the car was approved it has to go through tax ,duty and quarantine. I had my car steam cleaned before shipping but still got stung $675 from quarantine as they weren`t happy and apparently found dirt in the wheel arches but it`s not like I could have refused as they had the car! Plus I was eager to get it on the road!!

After that I needed to get the car compliance tested which included getting rear child restraints fitted on the rear parcel shelf (not sure how they do wagons?) a compliance plate needs to be fitted as well as a weight bridge certificate sometimes you need impact bars in the doors depending on if they have them or not (mine didn`t need them) but luckily the compliance tester did all those for me. Also the car gets a blue slip done which is a safety check basically, I had to replace my worn brakes,raise the coilovers back to stock,replace my LED side/parker bulbs to OE and a few other bits and bobs! The emissions WERE tested but I had put the stock cat back on prior to shipping and my Full Blitz NüR Spec was slightly too loud even though it had its silencer bung in it.

The rules are different for vehicles of different age so I guess it`ll depend on what you`ve got? The Aussies like to bust your balls so be prepared!!

Some good info here mate also can download forms.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Rising Son is offline   Reply With Quote