Old 09-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #28
Abnormal
Douchebag Moderator

Member#: 149626
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 CGM FXT
Rocket Box! :D

Sometime around November I toss the tow rope in the hatch area... Then when it snows I jack it up, swap the winter wheels and tires on, and go play in the fluffy stuff

With the beater Jeep this year... I'll probably do the same thing, but no dedicated winter rubber... Only because I've got mud and snows on there right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07VTRex View Post
they are SO bad its not even funny!
my friend in his stock sti couldnt get out of a flat snow-covered parking space with those, while i drove through a foot of snow like it wasnt even there on my conti-DWS.

awd doesnt matter if you dont have the right rubber
Your friend's STI had RE070s, not RE92s. RE92s are (dare I say) ALRIGHT for an ALL SEASON OE MASS MARKET tire in the snow... But they are not great.

The RE070 is a ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE essentially track tire... It's a death sentence in the snow.

Just get some winter tires, mount on the cheapest Rotas you can find, and enjoy the peace of mind of being able to panic stop in the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaedikus View Post
so where do you guys usually get your winter set of wheels from? does anyone know of a place that sells steelies that would clear 04 STI calipers? what do you guys use when you swap over?
Screw getting steelies. I'm sure they're cheap cheap cheap and all, but I found wheels and tires for winter for under $500. Look used, and look far and wide for the tires if you spent too much on the wheels.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Abnormal is offline   Reply With Quote