NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
i tried the colored wheel route, and then realized 2 weeks later that it didn't look as good as i imagined and was too "loud".
I think that's the big thing. Blue will look cool, but will you like it 2 months from now or 2 years from now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotthew View Post
I'm far from a knowledgeable auto enthusiast, so what all do I need to be aware of when up-sizing wheels? I assume there are concerns with wheel weight, bearings, caliper clearance?
Bearings won't be an issue unless you do something incredibly stupid - like install wheels that don't even fit inside the fenders.

Caliper clearance can sometimes be challenging with the Brembos and the old Subaru/FHI 4-pots, but since you don't have those, there's really nothing to worry about. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone post about finding wheels that would not fit over the 2.5i or WRX brakes.

Wheel/tire weight can have a big impact on performance. How big and whether it really matters depends on how sensitive your butt dyno is and what you use the car for. In general terms, heavier is bad, and will adversely impact handling, ride quality, acceleration and braking. This is a pretty good article showing how you can balance the good and bad aspects of upsized wheels. Really cheap wheels are often really heavy, so avoid those and you'll be fine.

You'll typically pick up a few pounds when you upsize wheels, as both the tires and wheels will most likely end up heavier than your stockers. The Sparcos you posted are a pretty typical weight - 19#. There are lighter wheels, and there are wheels that are boat anchors - Tire Rack's wheel "upgrade garage" will let you see that.

Quote:
I'm concerned, however, about painted rims. Will they look like trash in a year or two?
How do your stock wheels look after a few years of use?

Quote:
Are there any brands you can recommend?
Browse this forum - there are tons of options that will work just fine.

Pat Olsen
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Patrick Olsen is online now   Reply With Quote