View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Scotthew
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265263
Vehicle:
2010 2.5i Prem Hatch
White

Really great info here Pat. Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
I think that's the big thing. Blue will look cool, but will you like it 2 months from now or 2 years from now?
A good point. I'd like to think that if the paint holds up, I'll be just as happy with blue in the long term, but I've never had something that garish on the car.

Quote:
Wheel/tire weight <i>can </i>have a big impact on performance. How big and whether it really matters depends on how sensitive your butt dyno is and what you use the car for. In general terms, heavier is bad, and will adversely impact handling, ride quality, acceleration and braking. <a href="http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested" target="_blank"><u><font color="Blue">This is a pretty good article</font></u></a> showing how you can balance the good and bad aspects of upsized wheels. Really cheap wheels are often really heavy, so avoid those and you'll be fine.

You'll typically pick up a few pounds when you upsize wheels, as both the tires and wheels will most likely end up heavier than your stockers. The Sparcos you posted are a pretty typical weight - 19#. There are lighter wheels, and there are wheels that are boat anchors - Tire Rack's wheel &amp;quot;upgrade garage&amp;quot; will let you see that.
With those Sparcos I'm considering per Tire Rack:
Stock: 20.2 wheels + 21 tires = 41.2 lbs
Sparco: 19.1 wheels + 24 tires = 43.1 lbs
I'm assuming a 7.6 lbs and 0.4% diameter total increase isn't very substantial, and my economy should barely feel it.

Quote:
How do your stock wheels look after a few years of use?
My stockers look fine still, but they don't have paint that can chip. I need to search for someone with those Sparcos to see how the paint has held up.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Scotthew is offline   Reply With Quote