Scooby Newbie

Member#: 226331
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatch
Dirty Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycle_wreck View Post
Taking my car in tomorrow for the fluctuating temperature gauge again.

Description:
My car will warm up to one notch below the middle mark in about 5 minutes. After that, it will only reach the middle mark if I come to a stop. After it reaches slightly above the middle mark (usually at an intersection), it stays there unless I drive above 50mph for a few minutes or coast down a hill in 4th or 5th gear. Then the gauge will drop as much as 1 full notch depending on the length and grade of the hill. The gauge will then rise back above the middle notch next time I come to a stop.

If I am running the A/C, this is far less likely to happen for whatever reason, and the gauge will usually stay on the middle mark. I mostly notice the fluctuation when the A/C is off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycle_wreck View Post
My dealership got a Field Service Engineer out to look at mine. Engineer couldn't figure it out either. I'm putting together something for SOA, but I've been working like a dog so I haven't really gotten around to it.

Dealership tech replaced the thermostat, didn't make a difference. He took quite a few logs of the temps and sent them to SOA. They said they don't have a fix, but are looking into it. Apparently when the dealership tech called the Subaru Tech Line, no one had heard of this problem. However, the field service engineer said he had seen it before, but wasn't aware of a fix.

I should also say that my temp gauge needle moves only slightly (about 1 notch below the middle when coasting down a hill), unlike the video in the OP. There may be two distinct problems here.
Taking the car back to the dealer on Friday. They're going to have another look at the temp gauge while they investigate the TOB noise I've been having in the morning.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bicycle_wreck is offline   Reply With Quote