Scooby Newbie

Member#: 156443
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon WRB
2001 Forester S, EJ205/5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaedikus View Post
^you'd think he's done this once or twice before. coincidentally these are a lot of the things which are useful in a zombie apocalypse.
A lot of this is common sense from the days gone by. However it really depends on WHERE and HOW FAR you will be driving in weather conditions. For those of you who are driving in relatively urban areas, most of the "Survival" gear is probably not needed, sans proper clothing and a blanket/shovel. Even for PLAYING in parking lots rather than DRIVING on back/unpaved/unplowed roads. In most cases you can walk to a near by house, or someone will likely be on the road soon after you.

However, if you're going to venture in to the deep dark snow by yourself, or take long road tips through desolate areas or long stretches of barren highway, then having the proper gear is essential. In that sense, White_Shadow has done a tidy job of a list of things to consider. Being a person who frequently travels to the snow/ice/slurry to compete in winter rally, this is common practice. The Foz lives with the typical first aid kit, flash light, etc year round anyway. Even thought I still claim the boy scouts were started by a bunch of bastard chiropractors, it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

As to putting the WRX away for winter: It's nice to have a NICE car that's never seen salt, that it easy to deal with due to the LACK of rust underneath it. Anyone who has spent any considerable amount of time in salt country (I spent 5 years in upstate NY during school) knows exactly what I'm talking about. So yes, the AWD BMWs and the WRX all get to take naps in the winter, while the Forester gets to go play. And when it comes down to it, the Forester is almost as fast as the WRX anyway. It's not like I'm going slumming.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
X Mon is offline   Reply With Quote