Turbo27
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 270182
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
OBP

Default Data acquisition goods.

So I'm a engineering nerd and want to set my car up to the best of my abilities, so I'm slowly picking up all the tools I will ever need to diagnose, tune, adjust and setup my car.

First off after doing some re-search I realized that sting alignments are pretty much the most accurate you can get at aligning a car. More so even than some quality alignment racks. The local shop I always take my car to has a pretty old setup, which may be way out of calibration. Two alignments ago I only got about 2.5 degrees negative camber from my front driver side. So I slotted the lower strut bolt more to get more. Went back and still was only able to get about 2.5 degrees max which had me scratching my head a bit. Just by looking at it it seems to have more than that.

Downloaded an app for the Iphone called Clinometer which measures degrees using the phone's gyro's and appears to be pretty accurate. I got a flat piece of aluminum square tubing cut to length so that it will touch the outer edges of the wheel. Holding that up flat against the wheel and putting the phone up against it shows 3.4 degrees negative camber.

Passenger side is exactly the same and it is suppose to be 2.8.

So needless to say I'm doing my own alignments from now on and now have tools that show repeatable results.

Since doing my own alignments, I need to know exactly how much camber I can run. This also allows me to get a little more extreme with the camber since I can simply re-align the car once I get back from the track. The best way to tell if you are running enough camber is by reading tire temps, so I picked up a Longacre pyrometer.

Probe pyrometers are the most accurate since you can get down into the tire and read the core temps. The temps read from an infared pyrometer are only on the surface which rapidly cools down once you leave the track.

I will be taking data on tire pressures and temps on my Star specs and reporting back on here anything I learn.

I'm probably going to string align the car this weekend so I will post then how it went.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Turbo27 is offline   Reply With Quote