Scooby Newbie

Member#: 314812
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2012 STI Wagon
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89zxTO2.5rs View Post
I worked for a company that tried to apply sigma shizz on us. Worked hard at their warehouse for 3 years and knew more than half of the senior team there. That stuff was just a bunch of bs to impress the higher ups and to try to squeeze more out of an over worked and under paid workforce.

I walked out at the end of the work week like if it was a normal work night and never returned. My decision to ignore their stupidity and leave, and even finish my remaining education has netted me an easier lifestyle with higher pay in a good company.

Please pay attention to your employees while implementing this crackpot system to make sure they arent being mistreated like I was.
Bro, sorry to hear that. I have been managing my group for the last 6 or so years (naturally increasing in shifts and people - knock on wood). We have a really good relationship and I keep an open door policy and talk with all of them on a weekly basis (supervisors daily). In the end, I want to monitor the processes to look for opportunities which will reduce the time and make it more efficient which in the end will free them up for more opportunities. During this, I plan on teaching them. In the end, when you get your green belt and especially black belt is to become a mentor and take the back seat while supporting the team and being a sponsor. It sounds like your company may have had too many RichardCranium's (DH's) in upper management who missed the purpose.
One thing is you need to make the people see the benefit. With the courses I have had you always hear take the believers and leave the non believers behind. They will see the energy from the rest of the team who participates and eventually come aboard. One thing I started my team out with was 5S (well really 6S, the last S is for safety) on the manufacturing floor. I could see the resistance from the group during my Friday meeting, but told them to just give it an honest effort. The next meeting,the like it and by the third meeting, they loved the concept of how organized and easy the area was to work in.
I hope your experience doesn't stop you from learning Lean and Six Sigma. Right now if my company doesn't go this route, we will not make it in the near future.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.