Davenow
Scooby Guru

Member#: 23676
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub.csu View Post
^^ this.

customer: "blah blah" auto parts store told me my check engine light is for a oxygen sensor how much is that to replace.
Me: Well okay its this to replace but... your car has 6 of them. Do you want to diagnose whats wrong?
customer: I told you whats wrong its an oxygen sensor
I have been a tech and a service writer.

For that customer (because I too have had that customer dozens of times) how I handle it.

"No problem let me get you a quote on that"

Then I write up a quote, book time, no warranty coverage, replacing ALL oxygen sensors in the car.

As I hand them the $500-2500 quote I explain that there will be no guarantee that this will fix anything since we don't actually know what is wrong with the car, and that If it doesn't that I doubt the guy at autozone is going to cover the costs. Then I ask them if they want to just go ahead and have us do it, or do they want us to actually diagnose the car and probably fix it for a lot less than that, since there is a good chance it is something minor. I was very nice about it, and stayed professional. I was VERY good at my job. Despite being an ass hole who hates people with a burning passion on a level even a serial killer wouldn't understand, I am amazing with customer service. Like seriously, I have won awards and big paycheck bonus's for it. I actually did customer service training a couple times at one of my jobs.

At that point they either come to their senses or the piss off out the door. I don't care either way.

The most frustrating job was being a service writer at a Kia dealership. Let me make something extremely clear here. There are NO, NONE, ZERO, people, as stupid as Kia customers. Bar none, the dumbest mother f'ers on earth.

I also hate customers that buy a car and take delivery of it on a hot summer day, then the FIRST cool day, come in rip ass pissed off that their tire pressure warning light is on "I bought a new car so I wouldn't have these problems" F'king idiots. I explain that hot air is big, cool air is small, so if it was 110deg and their tire had 32PSI in it, on a 50deg day that will be somewhere in the mid 20s. That almost never worked, because every one of these mouth breathers don't believe in science or are too f;king stupid to understand it anyway. Then they come out with the line that makes me want to cave their thick head in with a sledgehammer.

"My old car never did this" That is their logic. THEIR F'ING 1987 BUICK NEVER HAD A TIRE PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT GO ON. NO **** YOU GOD DAMNED IDIOT YOUR PIECE OF **** BUICK DIDNT HAVE A F'ING TIRE PRESSURE WARNING SYSTEM.

I actually prayed that they would be hit by a bus and killed as they left.

I have worked in the auto industry for over 20 years, as everything from an OCB (oil change bitch) to a muffler/brake shop wrench monkey to a B tech at a dealerships, to a service writer, and a car audio installer.
Horror stories? I has them.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Davenow; 10-07-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote