View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
Kentobeanz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 120065
Vehicle:
1969 360 Sedan

Back home now after another fun-filled weekend of SCCA RallyCross. The car ran great, but for one minor glitch. After taking the lead on his first run Saturday morning, Aaron spun up all 1.5 liters of axle twisting fury during his second run and actually twisted the axles apart. Two broken axles, one run. Pretty impressive, for a motor that barely makes enough torque to tighten the lug nuts. I jumped in a VW Golf, borrowed from Harold Denham, for the other two runs Saturday morning. It was quite a bit different from the Civic, and I fell a bit back from the lead but held on to second place.

During lunch, the awesome Cross-continental pit crew of Chang Ho Kim, Eric Adams, Aaron Miller, me, and a few others I forget, managed to replace both front axles in a little over a half-hour, and we had the car running again for the afternoon course. I tried a little too hard to make up the gap to first, and clipped 3 cones. After Saturday afternoon, I was still in second, but with 6 seconds in cone penalties I fell to 9.2 seconds behind.

Saturday evening, the Colorado gang helped me set up the course for Sunday. I was sort of volunteered to design the course, and despite the darkness and bumpy terrain I think it turned out OK. My first RallyCross course design was at the National Championships, with about 10 hours notice. Whoda thunk it. Sunday morning, we put a few finishing touches on the course in the daylight, made a few changes, and got ready to race.

Sunday, Aaron and I managed to run some decent times, but I still tried a bit too hard to catch up to first, and clipped cones again. I finished up in second place, a little over 12 seconds out of first, with 12 seconds in penalties. With the car changes,

Aaron and I spent the 700 mile drive back to Denver brainstorming ideas to make the car faster. Next year should be awesome, and I want to drag some more Alaska drivers down there with me.

Videos will be up soon...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Kentobeanz is offline   Reply With Quote