Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #1218
pharmamatt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 232507
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2012 WRX STI
Ice Silver

Looking for a little help on my future summer tire set up for my 2012 Sti sedan. Looking to add a little width over the stock sti tire, and ideally dropping to a 17 inch rim for weight saving/ dealing with rough roads.

Over all goals for the car is a daily drivable, fun all rounder, able to deal with spirited driving on rough secondary roads. Want to have a slightly more aggressive appearance (wheels not lost in the fenders).

Suspension will be mild, gtworx struts with either rce yellows or swift spec r's as well as basic camber adjustment (camber bolts most likely) and the usual host of bushings and sway bars.

My current thoughts are:

17x9 +40, 255/40/17
Pro - lowest weight, easy fit
Con - under sized diameter compared to stock

17x9.5 +40, 275/40/17
Pro - meatier set up, close to stock size
Con - more difficult fitment

Hoping to not lose to much in turn in response with the slightly taller side walls. So question one, Would doing the wider 9.5 inch wheel help mitigate the squishy handling from the taller side wall?

It seems a 265/35/18 fits with minimal issue, So I'm assuming the 17 inch option should fit similarly easily. Any thoughts on the amount of work needed to fit the wider 275 set up? from the stats listed on tire rack, it seems the section widths are within .1 of an inch between 265/35/18 and a 275/40/17. Rolling the rears isn't a huge concern for me, but given the daily driven aspect, I'd like to maintain reasonable camber and ability to have buds / junk in the car and not worry about rubbing etc etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by pharmamatt; 10-11-2012 at 01:04 AM.
pharmamatt is offline   Reply With Quote