Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180632
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2006 impreza 2.5I
OBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosaaber
Just for clarity, the seat we have (A Britax) says 40lbs is the max for rear facing, after that weight the seat needs additional support from the anchor straps in a front facing orientation.

I agree with Italian, too many parents do not maximize safety for their kids. Don't get me started on kids without car seats/booster seats/seat belts/bike helmets etc...

Having said that, parents can choose to do whatever they want, my son will be rear facing until he hits 40 pounds (the rear facing limit for the seat we have).
I think you are referring to the top tether. Latch depending on your vehicle has very specific allowable weight limits. Subaru for example is car seat weight plus child weight may not exceed 60lbs. 48 lbs of you are only using the lower anchors.

As a certified car passenger safety technician I unfortunately see many children ages 2-3 come into a check in a high back booster, why because they're over 30 lbs. We have a saying 'is your child a minimum or a maximum'? Meaning yes, at this point in time the legal rules say a child must be at least 1 year AND 20 lbs before they may face forward, the recommendation (which isn't new... It's been around since the early 90s, just more publicized now) is to remain rear facing to at least 2 years or the maximum of your seat, pp would be 40lbs, however the recaro mentioned above only has a 35lb rear facing weight limit. Yes you can turn a 1 and 20 child forward but is it the safest option, no. Yes you can put a 30lb 3 year old in a high back booster, but is it safe, no.

That being said it is my job to educate not enforce. I could go blue in the face listing many reasons why rear facing is safer, harnessing is safer etc, but ultimately it is the parents decision.

As for the person who bumped the thread. If you seat is leaning then its being pulled up by the belt. Unbuckle and try to put equal force on the seat as you re-buckle and don't pull super hard when feeding the seatbelt back into the retractor. As for the cargo thing. I don't know. Is it possible to take a picture and upload it? I haven't been in that new of a vehicle yet so without seeing it I can't give my opinion.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
italianhunnybee is offline   Reply With Quote