Old 10-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
BigAir
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 200496
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Obsidian Black

Here's a good answer to my own question from the Manifesto. Thanks Unabomber. Will do.
What brand/type of drive belts should I use and how do I do it myself?

OEM belts are fine, but you can usually save some money by picking up your new belts from NAPA. The NAPA brand belts are made by Gates. Gates is the manufacturer of the OEM replacement belts. So now matter where you buy them, your belts will have Gates stamped on them. No name belts from your local auto store tend to howl like a banshee, so this is one case where you want to spend more and not have to worry. Kevlar timing belts from Greddy, STI, Gates, PE, etc. are an expensive option and for 99% of users are wholly not needed as OEM or OEM quality belts are not prone to failure.

Now when you do your timing belt, there is a lot of debate about what you should do while you are in there already. Other things you can do are timing belt tensioner, oil pump, idlers, water pump, cam and crank seals. The only must replace item is the timing belt tensioner and some even forgo that. The other items are not particularly wear prone and could be replaced if you see a problem with leaking when the timing belt cover is off. Mind you, there are doom and gloomers that suggest replacing every bit under or near the timing belt cover, but rest assured...unless you see a problem, there is no dire need to replace things just for replacement's sake or you feel it's in your car's best interest.

subarugirlies.com accessory belts instructions
clubwrx timing belt instructions
Scoobymods timing belt instructions
Meatys Timing Belt Changing Guide
This link is to the SPT timing belt instructions
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BigAir is offline   Reply With Quote