Originally Posted by Bad Noodle
^ ohh ok, I understand what you're doing now. I'll add the ground strap back to the intake tube and see if that reduces my corrections further. If it does, then I know that some corrections were being caused by spurious EMF. That should be an interesting experiment.
Where did you get this mica wafer? It sounds like that would help as well so I'd like to experiment with that too.
I think between our two approaches we should be able to come up with a good solution for these type of intake troubles.
The mica I used came from my electronic junk box. They fit a power output transistor and had a hole in each end of a rectangular piece of mica. I used two wafers, snipped in half with scissors and trimmed to fit the application. The holes were small and I had to very carefully open them with a hand-held drill bit, leaving them still too small and an interference fit with the screws so they covered the maximum. Should the screws have touched I would have revised holes appropriately and used an insulating tube on the screw, probably small thin shrink tubing. But I was fortunate and it is completly iinsulated as is.
Almost any mica insulator should work, trimmed to fit. I like the mica for its mechanical strength. One on each side of each of the two holes. The only consideration is screw-to-MAF clearance, but that can be taken care of.
At this point I am certain there is a change, and that that change has made an improvement in how my car drives, at the least. I'm also sure that I can now proceed with my tuning using data I trust reflects what's happening, and not a product adulterated by behind-the-scenes garbage.