Blackmamba24kb
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 330797
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5dr Prm
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
I used some wiring taps I had lying around, and tape, nothing fancy. if it starts to not work correctly I will open it back up and solder the top wires (from the LED to the wires I ran) and install some new taps.

Originally I had only tapped into the Pink (+) wire and ran my own ground, but I soon figured out that the hatch switch mechanism operates by interrupting the Ground wire, not the positive wire. I had to tap the switches Ground wire in order for my strip to shut off when the hatch was closed.

I ran the strip overhead just inside the door, the headliner there is easy to move and there is enough room to zip tie it there without removing the headliner. If this strip dies I will install another, it is pretty cool and quick to install. In that position it is also weatherproof, as it is inside the car and the weatherstripping.

The amount of light is amazing, and that position works well to light up the hatch -- it is much brighter than the interior dome light and that little side hatch light.

When the strip is lit, you will not see the zip ties (it is very bright!)

When the strip is unlit, no one is really going to notice it tucked up in back near the hatch, unless you regularly tie up people and stuff them in your hatch face up.

I suggest you leave them face down, then they won't obsess if your zip ties are crooked!

thanks for the picture zeeper!! very helpful indeed!!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Blackmamba24kb is offline   Reply With Quote