Thread: Finally did it
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #30
Acro2Pilot
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 234617

Nah, fabricating stuff is the Subaru way. And in fact Subaru engines have a big presence in aviation now days. There are many VANs RV aircraft flying with modern Subaru engines and many gyrocopters fly with EA81s.

Right now I am building an aerobatic biplane called an Acrosport II. If you know anything about airplanes it is like a Pitts that doesn't want to kill you. Here is a finished one;

Mine is about 80% complete with the major structures built and the fuselage sitting on the gear and the engine hung. The wings are at my house right now getting the fabric covering done. The fuselage is 4130 steel and the wings are spruce and aircraft ply, standard aerobat stuff. I am not an aerobatic guy so much as I love biplanes. The same engine/prop will fly an RV at 200mph but the ASII tops out at 135 for cruise, I just like biplanes enough to sacrifice the speed performance.

As soon as the ASII is done I am starting on a full scale replica of a Fokker DR1 (red baron tri-plane), the kit is in my hangar waiting for me to start. That one is all aluminum and assembled with cherrymax rivets so it takes a fraction of the time to build as the ASII does. You can finish one of those WWI replicas in less than a year.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Acro2Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote