Old 11-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
xsk7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 204550
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX wagon
WRB

i switched mine out to install equal length headers. i did not have to raise the engine to do this. i used a 1/4" ratchet, 1/4" extension, 1/4" swivel joint and 1/4" inch socket (think it was like 10mm) to get to the rear bolts on the oil pan. the 2 middle ones are a PITA but it is possible to remove them.

once the pan is unbolted, hit it with a hammer or mallet to break the rtv seal. you will need to unbolt the pickup tube to get the oil pan off so have someone hold the pan while you unbolt the pickup tube.

clean the rtv left on the block. i used a knife to scrape it off. then put your rtv on your new oil pan, stick the pickup tube into the oil pan and have someone hold the pan while you bolt the pickup tube back on. raise pan into place and begin installing your bolts. do not tighten to spec yet, just enough to hold the pan in place. the rear bolts will test your patience . work quickly because if you squished rtv into the bolt hole and it dries.....you will not install that bolt and you will have a leak. i used a flashlight and an inspection mirror to see the bolt holes and have an idea of their location.

its late so i may have missed something, but this gives you an idea of the process. good luck
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
xsk7 is offline   Reply With Quote