Scooby Newbie

Member#: 301213
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 Imp. Sp. Ltd.
Blue/Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole888 View Post
I do suspect that Subaru didn't conduct the EPA test properly.

Think about it, ALL models of Impreza with CVT get identical MPG rating. Doesn't that seem suspicious?
The hacth and sedan have different cd (hatch has 0.33cd, sedan has 0.31cd) they both get the same MPG. There are 3 different tire/wheel sizes used on the impreza...they all give the same MPG?
How about the sport model, they have the roof rails that adds extra drag...no MPG difference?
How about the Limited sport model, it weighs 176 lb more than the base hatch model...no MPG difference.

Doesn't it make you wonder how all these different impreza models are getting the exact same MPG?
Is there not the slightest possibility that Subaru might have tested improperly, or made similar errors that Hyundai did?

My understanding is that Hyundai made mistakes on feeding in data on cd, weight, rolling/coasting resistance data that's used to simulate real driving condition in a EPA testing environment on dynamos.

Are you so confident that Subaru did everything correct?
I think cd, wheels, roof rails, etc add up to small fractions of a MPG. The comment about the roof rail tabs making a 1 MPG difference is probably to do with rounding. I don't know how EPA decides rounding but the little tabs probably bump the calculation from 35.49 to 35.51 to get a 'round up' to 36 MPG.

So based on the different wheels, roof racks, weight etc., let's say the most efficient version of Impreza gets 36.49 mpg in an EPA test and the least efficient gets 35.51. Rounding says they both get 36.

If consumers really cared, it would be awesome to have actual road tests in addition to the calculated tests currently in place. Something like a "go around the Consumer Reports test track using 1 full tank of gas."

In the end though, we're talking about maybe 10% +/- on MPG in the real world across most manufacturers. Honda is generally slightly above EPA while Subaru is below. Even if Subaru did fudge some numbers (intentional or accident) they sold thousands of cars and the vast majority of purchasers are happy.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
hemophilic is offline   Reply With Quote