NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid-o View Post
Assuming that this isn't your daily driver, it seems cheaper to just let the current block go as to make the kind of power you're expecting requires a better fuel system. I think everyone here is smart enough to know that if the sleeves let go it's not going to be a problem with the kit itself.

I can't wait for the 3576 as I'll at least be able to see the delta from the 2 turbos since all else will remain the same. I'm really liking the gtx3071 in .63 though.
Well that's not an entirely correct assumption. The shop has this 2005 and a 2012 STi. I would say 7 out of 10 times I will always pick the 05 It's just way more fun! Part of the importance of the kit is everyday drivability. I commute, go to the post office, run erands, pick the kids up from school, and even take the wife out for a decent meal once in a while in this car. If the project produced an annoying level of lag it would have been dropped long ago. I'm a firm believe in cars made to be DRIVEN and if that aspect isn't fun, there's no point.

On the engine I was on the fence for a while on this, but I'd rather play it safe and not have an engine failure on the dyno. The short block will be pulled inspected and put into the 2012 for another similar project (shhh, don't tell anyone), and a fresh sleeved block will be put into the 05 that will be made for ~800whp that it will likely never see. We plan on tearing it down ever 20K or so as I am testing some other secret stuff and want to check progress and the general health of the engine to avoid unplanned failure.

I've considering a few option on fuel. I'm not overly concerned on 93 pump, but race gas and E85 will definitely requre something. Since the car will live on pump and only be tested on race/E85 we may just rig something temporary on the pump side of things, but I'm still thinking things through.

In all honesty I really like the GTX3071-R (0.63 A/R) as a street only setup. OEM-ish drivability with a whole lot more go-go. The one downside (if you can call it that) is the throttle is much more sensitive to throttle inputs. Or as my wife puts it, an on/off switch. It took her some time to get used to gentle inputs on the throttle, wheras the 0.82 A/R had just enough lag where you could dip into it some and accelerate in a more predictable manner

I too am really looking forward to the GTX3576-R results too

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rehax View Post
Chris, it was nice talking with you the other day and appreciate the fast responses.. I'm on board with this prototype setup and cant wait for the results of the 35r... i really hope this hits production... this makes me very interested as well and cant wait to see the results..

"Plus we have the GTX3576 with the 0.63 A/R that Garrett tells me will spool like the 3071 with the 0.82 A/R, but make MUCH more power."
Nice speaking with you as well! So far there is no reason it shouldn't hit production. It's been a long road and I tend to take things like this slow and cautiously. Last thing I want is to release a product that isn't time tested.

On the GTX3576-R, that's what garrett tells me. I've even gone back and said "are you sure?" more than once We'll see
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote